Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On Living Simply

Awhile ago I had a dear friend suggest the book Organized Simplicity to me, and I loved it.

Kindle Edition: $9.34
Amazon: $11.92
Nook: $10.36
Tsh opens the book by saying "Simple living is not easy, ironically." And she is very right. It's something I struggle with daily but I'm getting better at. And what's more, I hope to get even better.

As you know, currently the hubs and I are living with his parents. This takes trying to live simply to a whole new level. I'm constantly trying to figure out what we do and don't need. When your entire personal space is an 11' x 14' room, you reconsider what you really need.

For instance...hampers, not as necessary as you think. Instead, 2 laundry baskets under the bed are quite sufficient. DVD cases have been thrown away and all of our DVDs are in books. Every inch of space is used for storage and if something isn't useful or necessary, it can't stay long before I start going crazy.

And the definition of "necessary" and "useful" is always evolving. But then you get into those things that are important to make you feel a little at home. Things like pictures have been abandoned. They now live in the storage unit. But books that are on the "to-read" list are suddenly being stuffed into the room.

I can no longer stand clutter. I keep trying to get rid of it, and it keeps coming back. Oh, this is quite a process.

Now, I'm about to try this again. I'm going to try to simplify our life even more than I have. I'm going to  question again everything we keep in our room. And, I'm going to reconsider what's being stored where. Our space is constantly evolving and it's time to look at it again. And try to work through some of the challenges.

Challenges are things like: where do I put my nonperishable foods if I move the shelf I'm currently using as my pantry into the bedroom? I want to be able to store things on those shelves, but maybe it'll be better to just leave the bookshelf where it is. I don't know. But I've got to address it. I've got to work to make it better...It doesn't work the way it is now and I have to change it.

In her blog post yesterday Tsh challenged us to take on one space and simplify it. Since our room is our entire space, I'm going to focus on a space within it. First up, the closet. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, there is stuff in our closet that can hit the road. I'll let you know how it goes!

How are you simplifying your life?






No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs