Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Contentment

With the new year I've spent some time considering what I want 2013 to look like. What do I want to accomplish? Do I want to set resolutions? How am I going to make 2013 the best year ever?

And I finally decided, kind of on accident, that I want to go with the "word of year" plan.

And my word of the year: Contentment.

You see I'd reached a point, I was unhappy with a few different things in my life. After passing the year mark of living with my in-laws, not getting to go to LSU, and a bunch of other little things on top of it all, I was having a difficult time of keeping things in perspective. So, this year's goal is to find contentment and make the best of everything.

Currently, I'm right on track.

One of my biggest frustrations in particular about living with my in-laws (outside of the generally living with my in-laws) was our bedroom. It was seriously wall-to-wall furniture. We don't have closet doors, so I could always see our clothes and everything stored in the closet. And we have more stuff than our room can hold. Seriously, it's hard living out of a single bedroom. A single bedroom I spend most of my day in.

After deciding to be content where I am, I've started trying to take control of the situation. Step one was rearrange the furniture! I moved things around so my desk is in front of a window instead of our dresser, and it really opened the room up...as much as possible! And I got some curtains for our closet "door". And I started getting rid of some things and reorganizing others. My last step is going to be getting our pictures and artwork out of our storage unit and hanging them in our room.

I was in a state of limbo internally. I wasn't going to be leaving this room in the immediate future but I wasn't settling in either. I decided to settle in. I decided I'd had enough and grabbed the proverbial bull by the horns. This is going to be our space. It's where I live. And now, it's mine. And at least I can see out the window. That makes a big difference!

So, there you go, 2013, I'm already more content than last year!



No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs