Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Book Review: The Christmas Singing

I recently joined a website, Blogging for Books after another blogger I follow talked about it. (I don't remember who now! I was so excited to go join and I'm not sure I got back to her blog again!) The idea was great for me! It gives me a chance to read good, retail books for free! In exchange, I post a review in a couple of places. Since I enjoy reading but can't afford to buy all of the books I want to read this is a great way to do it! If you're like me, definitely check out the website!




The first book I read was The Christmas Singing by Cindy Woodsmall. Here's my review:

If you click on the picture, it will take you to the book on Amazon.


When I was looking for my first book to review, I knew I wanted a love story to help me escape from my reality as a full-time student and wife. The title intrigued me and the cover reminded me of a Nicholas Sparks book. Saying I am a big fan of Nicholas Sparks and use the title and book cover to determine what books I read, this was a good sign this was a book for me! I was so excited to download my book and get to reading!

When I started reading the book, I only planned to read for a few minutes and then go to sleep. This book had me so wrapped up in the story of Mattie and Gideon I couldn't put it down! The book was written in a very pleasant, easy reading manner, and the love story was a pleasant twist having the characters be Amish. My instincts paid off well, and I truly enjoyed this book!

My only critique of the book is this, the author writes this book assuming I have a larger knowledge of the Amish community than I have. She kept referring to the Old Order Amish and the Old Order Mennonites in a way that indicated I should know their differences. Unfortunately, I don't. And she never explained it to me. So, a couple of times I found myself distracted trying to figure out the differences between them. Eventually I just ignored assuming that because she didn't explain it, it wasn't important. But I wish she would have either explained it or left it out of the book. It was distracting and messed up the flow of a wonderful story!

Overall, I suggest you read the book. The writing was good and the story pleasant. It's a short read, but definitely worth it!





Feel free to check out both this book and Blogging for Books! And thanks for helping this blogger get to reading!


2 comments:

{kayleigh nikolai} said...

I signed up when we talked about it! Waiting for my first book! :D

Ivana said...

This sounds like such an amazing thing! I love books and I love reading, and I have quite a budget on my bookshelves, so I´m definitely going to check out the website! Thanks so much for introducing me to it!

Have a wonderful weekend!

xx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls

 
site design by designer blogs