Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Treats

Because of my Grandma's funeral, I was unable to take part in the last 5 days of the Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge, so I'm going back and doing them now. I can't help but feel that this prompt is the perfect one to start back on.

Today's topic is Holiday Treats and I have to feature two of my Grandma's treats. Now, I'll let you know up front, these are secret family recipes. I don't give the recipes out to anyone, and I'm not starting now! So, I'll just let you know how delicious they are!

First up, is my Grandma's Ice Box cookies. It's been so long since I've made them, I don't even have a picture of them. To me, this is a good sign that I need to hurry up and make some more. Now these are a great cookie to eat with tea or hot cocoa. They aren't one of those soft gooey cookies. Instead they are a cinnamon sugar crunchy cookie. But, if you dunk them into hot tea or hot cocoa, they get a great softness to them. Oh, I love them. I can eat them by the dozens.

What was left of a pie a couple Thanksgiving's ago...apparently we don't photograph dessert...

My other holiday treat is my Grandma's pumpkin pies. Fact of the matter is, there is not a better recipe. I will give you a couple of hints about pumpkin pie! Find a nice spice mixture and use pumpkin PUREE and NOT pumpkin PIE FILLING! Seriously, do you really want to use what someone else thinks is best? My other note, and this may sound so ridiculous. If your recipe calls for evaporated milk (and mine does, so your's probably should!) you have to use CARNATION evaporated milk. Seriously, we've tried all the other brands, and using Carnation makes a difference. So, here's the wrap up:
1) Pumpking PUREE not Pumpkin Pie Filling
2) CARNATION Evaporated milk.

So, there you go, that's the best you're going to get from me regarding the recipes!



No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs