Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm Home!

Well, I've actually been home a couple of days, but I'm just now getting around to writing this post.

I spent a week in Cleveland, Ohio visiting my family and seeing my grandparents who have been ill. While the circumstances weren't the best, seeing them was really nice.

My parents we so awesome to come through New Orleans to pick me up and drop me off. The trip on the road was great. On the way to Cleveland, we broke the trip down into two days. On day one, we stopped in some town, I don't remember what it was called to get lunch. When we stopped there was a part of town that was older but had a beautiful Art Deco style building you could see. So, after we made a wrong turn, we decided to stop and get some pictures of a church we saw. The cornerstone shows that the church was built in March 1887. Exactly 100 years before I was born. That's pretty cool!

A Set of Doors to the Church.

The tower thing to the church.

Another door to the church.
I LOVED the doors. I wish I would have had the time to take more pictures!

A View of the church from across the street.
Unfortunately, I couldn't remove all of the power lines.
I was REALLY pretty!

The Cornerstone of the church.
It has a date of March 30, 1887.

We pretty much just made tracks on the second day, and didn't spend much time stopping other than to eat and go potty. We did see acres and acres of cotton on the first day too. We would have stopped, but when we were never in a good place for it. It made me really sad. I wanted to have a picture of myself in "high cotton." My great-grandmother was known for commenting about being in high cotton and it would have been cool to have that picture. Apparently next October, I'm going to have to go for a drive and get a picture of myself in cotton!

Once we were in Ohio, we pretty much just spent time hanging out with family. That really was the point of the trip after all. But, one day while we were there, I took about 45 minutes to go take pictures. And this trip I did something different. I didn't try to take a lot of pictures. I tried to take good pictures. And I switched my camera to raw mode. It won't always work for me, but it was great for this exercise. I had a lot of fun getting these pictures. Behind my grandparents house there are some woods. Really just a few acres, but there's also a little creek and it's fun to go walk down there. This was the first time I went down there by myself.

I'm really happy how it turned out. I'm so glad I tried this different approach. No, not all of my pictures were great. Or even salvageable with Photoshop. But, after 47 pictures (about 15 of them horrible attempts at a self portrait) I'm happy to say that I got about 7 good pictures of the beautiful fall leaves out there and enjoyed just a bit of the beautiful weather! So, without further ado, here are the 7 pictures.

Red...a color not seen on leaves in New Orleans!

This is probably my favorite picture!
I love the perspective!

I like that you have 3 diagonal lines in the picture.
From bottom to top:
1) The leaves at the bottom.
2) The tree trunks in the middle.
3) The leaves on the trees on the top.

A nice red leaf on the creek bed!

I thought it was cool how this tree was growing!

This sign didn't apply to me!
Or at least, I didn't let it apply to me!
(Anything for a good photo!)

Oh, the colors!
And, you can see a bit of the creek too!
And one final note, if you've survived all of those photos! I've spent several hours over the past two days figuring out how to make that stupid watermark brush in photoshop! I'm so glad that it's done. I really want to make sure people know my photos are mine if they get out into the internet without me. But, it took a lot of work to get there. And, I'm still not sure how I made it work...but, I have it and that's what matters! So, get used to seeing watermarks here at It Takes Two!





2 comments:

Holly said...

Ok 1) I live in Cleveland!!! The weather was crappy the past few days though...so hope you got to be here when it wasn't too bad. And 2) I was born March 31, 1987...how awesome about that church having a date of March 30, 1887 on it! The leaves are finally really starting to change here now..so beautiful :)

Kathy S said...

Beautiful photos. Looks like a great visit.

 
site design by designer blogs