Monday, August 29, 2011

6 Years Ago

6 years ago today, my life was about to change in a big way. Today is the 6 year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. For so many, today is a very sad day. On this day six years ago, so many people lost so many things. And for them, my heart truly goes out.

But, today is one of the most special days in my life. Because of Hurricane Katrina, I found my husband. The man that I love, who I'm going to spend the rest of my life with. Because of Hurricane Katrina, I found happiness with him. And I just don't think it would have happened without the storm.

When we first started dating, we called each other Honeybear & Cutiebear...I know, cute.
But, being who we are, "bear" became "Bexar" because "Bexar" is pronounced "Bear."
And then, that became "Bex-ar."
Bexar is the name of the county San Antonio is in.
So, we took this picture inside the state capital not long after we started dating.
You see, six years ago while my hubby was evacuated from his lifelong home here in New Orleans, I got to spend that same time hanging out with him and his friends. I pretty much just tagged along where ever they went and did whatever they did. We went to Starbucks (a rarity for me at that point in my life!) and Macaroni Grille. We spent a lot of time together.

At this point, I was taking classes at community college in San Antonio.
And Mr. B was taking classes for his masters.
So, when we would get together we would both need to study.
So, this is us taking a break from studying at Starbucks.
Again, this is in our early days!
Except the day that he went to Ikea. I didn't go for that. I don't really remember why now. I just remember I missed him. I remember wishing I could just hang out with him all of the time. But, I was about to go home and return to my life, and who knew what his life was going to entail?

This has always been one of my favorite pictures of Mr. B and I.
This was taken the same day as the first picture.
It has all of my favorite things in it:
Texas
Katy Tigers Fashion
Mr. B
(In No Particular Order.)
So, we went to a football game together (I tried to discreetly hold his hand in the car!) and then we eventually found ourselves hanging out at my aunt and uncle's house, in the country, looking at the stars. (Everyone sing with me: The stars at night, are big and bright *clap clap clap clap* deep in the heart of Texas!) and I found him putting his arms around. I felt his chin on top of my head. And in that moment...wow...I've never felt like that before or since! Then we went inside.

It was just us hanging out, on the couch. His arm around me. And I asked, so smoothly..."So, what does this mean?" Yeah...I said it was smooth. So, we talked about it for awhile and I was ready to go to bed (seriously, it was late and I had all day plans the next day!) and he asked me if he could kiss me...and, I said no. I just didn't know if I was ready for that? What would this kiss entail? Was it a short peck? Or a full blown, sweep you off your feet, find out you're in love kiss? Oh, and all I could think was, I'm 18 just out of high school and here's this worldly wise man of 26...how was I EVER going to measure up if I kissed him? I was scared! Oh, it's so silly looking back on that night!

So, y'all, Hurricane Katrina sucked! It really did...but for me, it literally set the course for the rest of my life! Mr. B, I LOVE YOU!! Thanks for holding me under the stars this week 6 years ago...or I may never had asked you such mind blowing questions as "So, what does this mean?" and then where would we be?! Oh, and just for kicks...here's a couple of early pictures of Mr. B and I!





6 comments:

Mandy said...

We had somewhat of a similar story. God and his path, we may not understand it but it will always work out in the end.

Jessica Renee said...

This is such a cute story!!! Life can be pretty amazing that way :)

Melissa said...

What a sweet story! God can bring good out of any situation! Katrina was awful... even here in Baton Rouge. We had lots of damage. I remember how CRAZY it got here - i think our population doubled in a matter of days! CRAZY! My sis was much closer to NOLA. They had a lot of damage in their town (franklinton). But it's crazy how things work out. I have several friends that evacuated to BR that i never would have met if it wasn't for Katrina. Love how you met your guy!!! :)

Melissa said...

That was supposed to say CRAZZZY. Apparently the Z's wouldn't type! (And maybe they still won't...)

Melissa said...

Okay, weird. I hope you know what i was trying to say! The last letter of the alphabet! i am typing it but it's not showing up on your blog! HA!

texlilo said...

I loved this post. Giggles now that song is stuck in my head.

 
site design by designer blogs