Monday, July 25, 2011

You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog...

When I was a kid we had a dachshund named Clancy for a short while. He was roaming our street and we were outside playing. My dad told his best friend, Bill not to call the dog over for any reason. Well, since I'm telling you this story, you can imagine, Bill not only called the dog over, but he also fed him. Clearly, there was no getting rid of the dog. So, we did the only responsible thing. We put him in the back yard and we put up signs for the found dog.

We did receive a call and the owner stopped by. We found out that his name was Clancy and that he had been the doggie Casanova. (In other words, he was used for breeding other dachshunds.) When he was picking him up I just couldn't bear to separate myself from the dog. So, since I was such a cute kid, the owner offered to let us keep the dog because he was old and was no longer used for breeding. Surprisingly, my parents agreed and we were allowed to keep the dog.

Well, not too long after we got him, I was sitting with him in my lap and he was licking my face. We think that I petted him wrong and it hurt him because he ended up nipping my cheek and I finished that day with 4 stitches. That also began the process of finding Clancy a new home.   :(

Since the day we sent Clancy to a new home I've always wanted another dog. Since my parents always rented, we were never allowed a dog. And, I pretty much gave up on ever having a dog in the foreseeable future. You see, Mr. B is just not interested in having a dog. Each discussion came to the same conclusion, no dog for the immediate future. A dog was something to be discussed again in the future.

But, after much thought, Mr. B has finally made a concession! After we pay off all of our debt, I can have a dog!!

I'm THRILLED!

I know it's going to be awhile before I have a dog. But, it's so great to know what goals need to be reached before we get a dog. And, it can really help me stay focused and not buy a ton of stuff while we're paying off debt. Because, let's face it, a dog is like a really big reward!! So, now I'm starting to do some dog research.

I REALLY want a Boston Terrier.

Source: google.ca via Shannon on Pinterest









I'm also finding Beagle's pretty cute.

Source: google.com via Lynda on Pinterest





And Frenchie's. I like these too!









I know so much more than "is it cute" goes into picking a dog, but so far it's a good place to start! And I have lots of time to figure it out!

I've taken a couple of preliminary quizzes online and lucky for me all three of these dogs come up as potential good matches! I also know that I will go to a shelter and find a dog that has a good personality for us. But, in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy looking!!

I'm also starting to figure out what's on my checklist of requirements for this dog. For instance, I know that I want a short hair dog because I don't want to have to get them groomed regularly or have to deal with lots of long hair if we don't get it groomed. And I know that I want a smaller dog, something that fits well in our apartment! Oh, and Mr. B and I already agree that we don't want to share the bed with the dog. And, I'm already figuring we will probably have a mutt because of the lower propensity for the dog to have inherited health problems. (But, I'll still look at the cuties above until I actually get a dog!)

So, I've a got a good start and I have plenty of time to figure it all out! But, I'm just so excited that Mr. B and I came to an agreement for me having a dog! Really, I can't tell you how excited I am!!

I hope you have a great Monday!! And, I'd love to hear about your dog if you have one, because I'm going to have my own furbaby one day!!!!! EEK! I'm just so excited!!!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Awww all of these pictures are adorable. YAY for getting a dog! I have never really been much of a dog person. I got my chihuahua as a surprise wedding present and that all changed. I love her like she is my real child. Good luck in your search!

Kristine said...

Aww, I’m sorry the doxie bit you! I’ve got a doxie and I am in LOVE with him but he’s never bit me, thank goodness. He was trained well by his mama, haha!
I wish for my next dog (aka my doxie’s new brother or sister) to be a Frenchie! They are too damn cute!

Texlilo said...

I am so glad. I love the photos! I can not imagine not having Gizmo and I know it will be the same when you get your dog.

 
site design by designer blogs