Thursday, July 7, 2011

I. Heart. Quotes. (And Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Life should not be a journey to the grave. - Hunter S. Thompson

I was bored and stumbling around the internet and stumbleupon brought me to a site that had a bunch of quotes.

I. Heart. Quotes.

And I heart this quote. Seriously. Think about what it says.

It's talking about enjoying and loving life. It's about taking the time to live life. In today's day and age, we rush so much. We rush from place to place. We rush while we're trying to accomplish things. And we rush to do the next thing. But, how often do we stop. How often do we stop and enjoy all of the things we have? How often do we stop and enjoy the people in our lives? How often do we just sit and enjoy where we are, right here, right now?

Recently I have been spending a lot of time thinking about this. I'll admit, I can be a rusher. I get frustrated when I'm in the slow lane and the person won't do the speed limit. I HATE getting stuck in Wal-Mart's check out lines. I about lose my mind when people slow me down. But, it's what's been engrained into me. Into all of us really.

Think about it, from the time we're old enough to talk people start asking us what we're going to be when we grow up. Then we start pre-k and if you're lucky you get into a good one.


It really is kind of like that. And it only gets worse. Kids don't get to be kids. We're getting ready for the next thing. The next class. The next AP test. The next extracurricular that guarentees admission to a great college.

And all of that is to guarentee a  good job where we make lots of money and can live out the "American Dream" and own lots of things. We need drive the SUV that measures gas usage in gallons to miles. And, we need to do all of this so we can do the same for our kids.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a good education (Mr. B does have both a bachelors and masters in history. I'm totally ok with it.) But, what I am saying is we're missing out on life because we're always fighting so hard to reach the next milestone. We forget to enjoy the here and now.

I've been reading Organized Simplicity. I've told you that. And I know you're probably getting tired of hearing me talk about it, but I'm going to anyways. At the beginning of the book she encourages you to write a family purpose statement. It's something to make you think about what you want to accomplish in life. Mr. B & I's could look something like this:

We want to live life full of relationships, travel and with time for our hobbies.

When we make decisions on things to do, on how to spend our time and our money, we consider this. These are the things important to us. My crafts supply that I never use are slowly getting weeded through and given away. I don't want to store them. But, I don't think twice about keeping our all 12 of the bags I need to travel. Or our power inverter for the car. Those are things that help us do the things we love and are important to us. 

It helps me to always know how important something is to me. When I'm considering buying something or spending my time on something, I consider this. And it helps me slow down. As much as it tells me what not to buy, it also tells me what to buy and what to spend my time doing.

Instead of spending money hapahazrdly, I know what to spend it on. If I'm considering buying a Coach purse, I know that I shouldn't because it doesn't help me accomplish those goals. I know that I would much rather spend that money on a new lens for my camera.

And it tells me how to spend my time. I don't feel like I have to do everything now. I spend the time I have purposefully. I make more time for the things that line up with our purpose statement. And, I limit the things I do that don't line up with our purpose statement.

It really has helped make me a happier person! And, it has helped me slow down and enjoy the things that matter to me. 

So, instead of rambling on longer about this stuff, I'll just leave you with one inspired quote.

Yes. It's from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...but, that doesn't mean it isn't inspired.


Oh, and from what I hear, Hunter Thompson is a bit looney. No need to tell me that. I still think his quote is good and it makes the point. Enjoy it for what it is.


1 comment:

Bibi - Simple Summit said...

An absolutely wonderful post, Betty! I couldn't agree more!
The first part actually was part of the message at church [how we always rush and work] -- it's sad, how we seem to be all chasing this american dream. My husband and I make an attempt, too, to not get caught up in this rat race of buying bigger and newer, but rather to try and enjoy life. Take the money we make and spent it on a vacation to a place we have never seen instead of a new vehicle.

Thank you, for this wonderful post. You hit home with it, my dear friend!

 
site design by designer blogs