Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July Family Get Together!

Today Mr. B and I hosted our first family get together! For so long I have dreamed about getting to host family events. It was one of the things I looked forward to about being married. Just getting to cook for everyone and have everyone hang out. At OUR place. And, it was one of the hardest parts about waiting so long to get married.

But, today, all of that changed. Today we hosted the family for the 4th of July! I had so much fun (ok...and maybe almost lost my mind) getting ready for this. I wanted to do a little something extra since it was the first family event at the house and because it's Fourth of July!

So, I made a few decorations in the grand (creative) theme of Red, White and Blue! I made a few tissue paper pompoms and I made these cool little numbers.
These are made with white rice that's been dyed.
Super easy.
Super cheap.
Tutorial to follow.



And, the decorations in the kitchen looked something like this:

The menu was delicious! We had pulled pork sandwiches (check out the recipe), baked beans and potato salad. All of which were home made by yours truly! I also made a very delicious cake. I tried a new recipe for the cake from one of my very favorite baking blogs, i am baker. It was AMAZING! And, I used my trusty buttercream recipe, but it was better than ever. Here's a close up of the very cute cake I made.
And, those are white chocolate fireworks on top. yeah, it was super cute.



But, in fear that the cake would be boring and uninteresting in the simple form above, I added a bit of a surprise.
Now, is that a patriotic cake or what?



Yep, I made the inside of the cake red, white and blue. It was fabulous! I enjoyed it tremendously! No one knew that I was coloring the inside of the cake, so this was a big surprise. I loved the reactions when I served the cake. When I was asked what type of cake I had made I replied "oh, just standard vanilla." It was a lot of fun to cut it open and have it colored! 

But, the best part of the day was just hanging out with everyone. It was awesome just seeing the family in our place, hanging out and talking. We had a lot of fun just doing what we do. I love how well our family gets along and how much we can enjoy hanging out together. You hear so many horror stories about in-laws and I don't take for granted that everyone gets along so splendidly! Here's some pictures of the group hanging out.
Wendy holding Parker.

Mr. B & Win while we were all hanging around the table.

Win, Lindsay & Parker.



And, the best trick of the day was getting Parker to smile! She's just so cute! I got to spend some time with her while she was in a good mood and it was tons of fun. She was so giggly and smiles and I just love it when she's that cute! And, when she giggles, I can't help but giggle too!

I mean, really, look at that face!

Oh, and if you still don't believe her giggling is all of that. Just see for yourself.



I mean, seriously, how totally cute is she?

Since there is really nothing to top that, I'll close this post. I hope y'all had a great 4th of July!! (And for any of my Canadian readers, I hope you had a great Canada Day on Friday!)


1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I mean seriously how cute is she?!?!? and I am totally NOT biased! :)

Thanks for having us over today it was a lot of fun. :)

 
site design by designer blogs