Friday, May 13, 2011

Road Trip in Review - Day 4, Part 2

It’s funny to be writing this post right now. I’m Ironically, I’m on the end of a different trip and this is about the beginning of another trip. Oh, I love traveling. And I’m swearing to myself that I am going to get all of these vacations posted about. So, that’s what we’re working on here. Telling the story of the trip in April so that I can tell the story of the trip in May! And my sister’s graduation. But, again, that’s another post…after a bunch more posts! We’re going to get there soon…I promise!

So, back at (this) post, I told you all about seeing UT’s campus and seeing Darryl K. Worley Memorial Stadium. That was fun and the picture taking was fun too. But, seeing the stadium wasn’t the only reason for seeing UT’s campus. We also wanted to see the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum. It was really cool to see. I learned a lot about LBJ and Lady Bird and that was really cool. You see, like I also said in that post, I was raised extremely conservative and we didn’t like LBJ or the like. Matter of fact, my Grandaddy said that JFK was one of the worst Presidents of the United States. So, you can imagine, if it wasn’t bad and it was about LBJ or the like, I wasn’t told about it. I learned only on accident that Lady Bird Johnson was responsible for the wildflowers on the sides of the road. And being me, I LOVE bluebonnets, I should know at least that much about LBJ and Lady Bird. So, for me, seeing the LBJ Presidential Library was a very informative experience. I had a great time, appreciated that I was allowed to take pictures and took as many as I could.

But first, a couple of pictures of the building!




I learned many cool things while we were at the museum but I found the information on Lady Bird to be the most interesting. She was the first First Lady to keep a journal of being the First Lady. And then she used the information to write a book, A White House Diary. It’s on my list of books to read! I just need to know what her days were like as First Lady!


So, I will soon be acquiring a copy of this book via the public library! I also really enjoyed getting to see models of LBj & Lady Bird’s different offices. There was a 7/8 scale model of the Oval Office during LBJ’s presidency. It also included a rocking chair the LBJ had added that had been in his family. He had 3 televisions (to monitor the different news stations) and he could choose which of the stations he would listen to.



One of the things I like about Presidential Library’s is the interesting tidbits they add. For instance, I learned that Lady Bird liked to extend her desk space to the floor. It just makes her seem like such a normal person!


So, after we finished that, we were able to see some of the gifts of state that were presented to LBJ and Lady Bird. And, it provided a couple of the coolest things to see in the library. First is this really cool view of the archives.


For the picture I’m standing between the 3rd and 4th floors of the library and I’m looking up at the archives. I really liked how they used glass on the ends of the floors so that you can see into the archives. It really just made the archives look beautiful! The other cool view was of the Presidential seal that was carved into the wall opposite of the archives.


Hopefully you can see the seal…it really was cool to see! This room might have been the most impressive in the building. It was just so large and grand. I could definitely imagine holding an event of some sort in this room. For a real LBJ fan, a wedding? Or some other important event. It was just an amazing room to be in. The archives, the seal, it was very beautiful!

I really enjoyed the museum. I wish we would have had more time to spend there! We missed most of the museum that was actually about LBJ (we mainly saw the First Lady’s Gallery). I’m sad that we didn’t see more, but I figure we’ll be able to go back and see the rest of the information!

Now, one thing you should know about me, I LOVE souvineers. It’s my favorite part of traveling! But, at some point during my life, I had to start picking something reasonable to collect while traveling. It couldn’t be expensive and it couldn’t take up a lot of space. Fact of the matter is, I’m running out of space, don’t like t-shirts and overall don’t have the money to spend on so many things. Mr. B collects pint glasses (they are very useful and I’m about to just get rid of our regular glasses…we never use them!) and I started collecting magnets. My fridge is covered with magnets and pictures. And my souvineers keep the pictures on the fridge! It’s wonderful! So, you can imagine when I was saddened when I walked into the LBJ Library/Museum gift shop only to find they didn’t have a magnet to meet my requirements. So, I took a different approach.
I decided to make my own. Now, I haven’t finished the project, but it will happen! You see when you walked into the exhibt, they had this to greet you:

I think it was one of the coolest things! They had taken a bunch of different campaign buttons and attached them to this blue background and hung it up for you to see. It was very cool. And was one of my favorite things I saw. So, when they had some buttons for sale in the gift shop, I decided to buy those. I’m going to also buy some magnets and attach those to the buttons to effectively create my own magnets! They are going to be one of kind! I can’t wait to do this project – I want my magnets on my fridge being a great reminder of a fun time and helping to hold up great photos of my adorable niece!

So, when we finished up at the LBJ Library and Museum we hit the road (I-35N) and headed towards Dallas. We were supposed to make it all the way there but only made it to Waco. We stayed in our hotel, went swimming at the swimming pool and enjoyed the coolest hotel room we had. (It was a suite, had a bedroom and a seating area, a little kitchenette and 2 flat screen televisions.) It was great! The next morning we went to the Dr. Pepper bottling plant in Dublin, Texas. But, I’ll tell you about that in the next post!

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs