Wednesday, March 23, 2011

So 2000 and Late - Part 3

So, for Christmas/Our Honeymoon, we made a trip to Cleveland, Ohio and from their made our way to Washington, D.C. and ultimately down to Charlotte, North Carolina before heading home. We had a great time, got to see family and friends, and just generally enjoyed our time. 

So, we're going to start off with Day 1 of our trip. December 23, 2010.

December 23, 2010
Mr. B & I ready to embark on our trip!
We were heading first to Cleveland to see my Grandparents, my mom's parents, for Christmas. My Papa's health is deteriorating and unfortunately he was unable to come to our wedding. So, we planned to visit them, along with my parents. This also lent us the perfect trip to do something we both love - ROAD TRIP! So, we planned our Honeymoon to be a part of this trip and hit the road.

We left right after work on the 23rd. We wanted to drive as far as possible that night so that we could avoid being caught in a storm the could possibly produce ice on the roads and make the rest of our trip more difficult. The plan was to drive until we (Mr. B) couldn't drive anymore. We expected to stop around 2 or 3am and sleep a little bit before heading on the rest of the trip.

This is one of the last things we were able to see before it got dark that night:
Entering the state of Mississippi
Fun Fact about the B's, Mr. B's Grandparents lived in Jackson, Mississippi.
So, we kept moving onward. We had a lot of driving ahead. Eventually I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and fell asleep. I leaned the seat back and took a nap. I would wake up every-so-often to check on Mr. B, even asleep I was worried about how tired he was! But, he kept driving.

2AM passed...

3AM passed...

4AM passed...

5AM came...

....and I finally was awake some. Mr. B also had to stop for gas, so we stopped, and traded places. It was now Mr. B's turn to sleep. So, he told me to just to get back on the interstate, we were taking it the rest of the way. So, I got back on the interstate, and he went to sleep.

Now, by this point we had made our way through several states, passed up the storm and were just trying to get to where we were going. And, it was cold outside. Seriously cold. I believe we were in Kentucky when we stopped, and it was not the same as when we left New Orleans. Matter of fact, when the light came up, it looked something like this:

This is in either Kentucky or Ohio, I can't remember now!
What you are seeing is the road, and for you southerners,
the white stuff is snow.
Yes, this G.R.I.T.S. woke up to snow. Mr. B told me a really cute story, as he was driving in the dark, he could tell that things had changed as far as the ground was concerned, but it took him awhile to figure out that it was snow covering the ground...for awhile he really thought that he was looking at sand! 

It didn't make much sense, but that's what he was thinking. (He was also way sleepier than I would even like to think about!)

So, in a matter of 24 hours, I went to New Orleans winter to ground covered with snow. It created a beautiful drive the rest of the trip. When we got to Cleveland I called my parents to let them know we had made it (they had already arrived) and were going to try and check into the hotel. (We weren't sure they would let us check into the hotel at 9AM. Yes, the did let us check in.) So, we settled into the hotel, climbed into bed and went to sleep.

It was now Christmas Eve Day and there were things to do that evening. So, it was a nap and then seeing the family - you'll hear more about it in the next post. 

Aren't you glad for Christmas in March?

1 comment:

Wide Awake B. said...

I don't recall being that sleepy while driving. I don't know why I thought it was sand dunes...it just didn't (in the mostly dark) look like the consistency of snow. I don't think I've ever seen snow that thick before where it completely covered everything.

 
site design by designer blogs