Thursday, February 24, 2011

Movie Review: Wish 143

Nominations:
Short Film (Live Action)

Definition:
According to the Academy, "a short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits. This excludes from consideration such works as: 1) previews and advertising films, 2) sequences from feature-length films such as credit sequences, 3) unaired episodes of established TV series, 4) unsold TV series pilots." The Academy further defines a Live Action Short Film as using "live action techniques as the basic medium of entertainment. Documentary short subjects will not be accepted in the live action category."
 
Movie Review:
This short follows David, a teenage boy with Cancer. This is the 3rd of the UK movies nominated in this category, and while kids are killing people in this one, it's still a little crazy. David is approached by the UK Make a Wish foundation (He is recepient #143.) When asked what he wants he informs the foundation his wish is to lose his virginity. We follow him while he attempts to do this after the foundation tells him to pick another wish. Ultimately the chaplain helps him and he meets Maggie, "a working girl" as http://www.imdb.com/ refers to her.  The story is a little odd, but funny at times. I give the movie an A-.
 
Short Film (Live Action) Review:
This was pretty well done. The story had some complexity that I enjoyed. The filming was of a good quality and the acting was pretty good. By the end of the film I felt that I had experienced a range of emotions that this character would have actually experienced. I give this an A-.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

curia_regis said...

I also liked this film. And, although it was good, I seriously doubt it would win. It seems too light-hearted in spots for the Academy. Nu Wewe seems like a better choice for the Academy.

I liked this one probably 3rd. I probably rank them: God of Love, The Confession, Wish 143, Nu Wewe, The Crush. But that is just from an enjoyment standpoint. I certainly wouldn't argue that Nu Wewe has a deeper range of emotion, and is a more "moving" film...I just enjoyed Wish 143 more.

Kudos to you for calling Maggie a "working girl". I love it!

 
site design by designer blogs