Thursday, February 24, 2011

Movie Review: Na Wewe

Nomination:
Short Film (Live Action)

Definition:
According to the Academy, "a short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits. This excludes from consideration such works as: 1) previews and advertising films, 2) sequences from feature-length films such as credit sequences, 3) unaired episodes of established TV series, 4) unsold TV series pilots." The Academy further defines a Live Action Short Film as using "live action techniques as the basic medium of entertainment. Documentary short subjects will not be accepted in the live action category."

Movie Review:
Na Wewe is set in Africa and revolves around the genocide occurring between the Hutus and Tutsis. We watch as a minivan full of people are interrogated whether they are Hutu or Tutsi and the freedom that ultimately comes. The story was very well told and the emotions were well shared. Although told in French with English subtitles, I still found myself able to follow the storyline and understand the events that were occurring.

Short Film (Live Action) Review:
I found this to be well done and did a good job of imparting the relationship between the Hutus and Tutsis. While this was not my favorite Short Film, I did find it well done and served as a good reminder that genocide did not end with the Holocaust. I give this film an A.


 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

curia_regis said...

I, myself, didn't give this film too much love on the day we saw it, but upon further reflection, I enjoyed it.

I was thinking about how realistic it was, and how I really believed that the guys with machine guns wanted to kill the people that they believed were different from them. You could feel the tension, which is actually impressive from a short film.

This wasn't my favorite, but it was good, and if it wins, it probably deserves it.

 
site design by designer blogs