Sunday, February 20, 2011

Movie Review: Madagascar, carnet de voyage

AKA: Madagascar, a Journey Diary

Nomination:
Short Film (Animated)

Definition:

According to the Academy, "a short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits. This excludes from consideration such works as: 1)previews and advertising films, 2) sequences from feature-length fils such as credit sequences, 3) un aired episodes of established TV series, 4) unsold TV series pilots." The Academy further defines an Animated Short film as being "created by using a frame-by-fram technique, and usually falls into one of the two general fields of animation: character or abstract...Documentary short subjects that are animated may be submitted in either the animated short film category or the documentary short subject category, but not in both."

Movie Review:
I guess it's important to know that this is a French submission and the narration is French and subtitled. The movie is a visual journal of one man's trip to Madagascar. The story was simple, although a little difficult to follow at times because of the constant change in the the types of animation. I'm cool with changes when it supports the telling of the story. (You'll see a review soon where I LIKED the changes made in film styles.) but, in this instance, the changes were distracting. I felt that I was constantly playing catch up in trying to understand the film. I give this a  D because I just really didn't enjoy it.

Short Film (Animated) Review:
I was underwhelmed with this film. Like I said, it was difficult to follow and the constant changes in types of animation only made it more confusing. I was left wondering what I had seen. Because the story was not well conveyed and the animation distracting, I give this an F.



1 comment:

Mr. B. said...

I ranked this one 4 out of the 5 shorts. I appreciated the changes in animation, even though there wasn't an apparent necessity for it.

I somewhat enjoyed this film. It didn't confuse me, and it was pretty straight forward. It was artistic and well done, although that doesn't necessarily "do" it for me. I much more enjoyed the consistency and high-budget value of "The Gruffalo" or "Night & Day", but if this short won the award, I wouldn't be outraged.

The voting members of the Academy are somewhat artistic themselves, and movies like "Day & Night" and "The Gruffalo" are the types of films being turned out by Pixar and Dreamworks for years now. "Madagascar, carnet de voyage" is an original piece of art with a wide range of styles incorporated therein. I didn't enjoy it as much as the three I ranked above it 1) The Gruffalo 2) Day & Night 3) Let's Pollute, but I certainly understand that sometimes films win for their artistic qualities rather than how well they play to the average viewer.

 
site design by designer blogs