Friday, February 18, 2011

Movie Review: Let's Pollute

Nomination:
Short Film (Animated)
 
Definition:
According to the Academy, "a short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits. This excludes from consideration such works as: 1)previews and advertising films, 2) sequences from feature-length fils such as credit sequences, 3) un aired episodes of established TV series, 4) unsold TV series pilots." The Academy further defines an Animated Short film as being "created by using a frame-by-fram technique, and usually falls into one of the two general fields of animation: character or abstract...Documentary short subjects that are animated may be submitted in either the animated short film category or the documentary short subject category, but not in both."

Movie Review:
Let's Pollute is a satirical piece to its core. Set as a public service announcement, it shows why pollution is bad in a humorous, lighthearted way. Watching the movie, the purpose (Oh, I love getting to use that word!) is to teach people how to become better polluters. Yes, there are even instructions to become better polluters.  It was quite a film to watch. Even if you don't agree with the premise of the movie (we need to be more eco-friendly) it should be admitted that the movie itself was well made and it's point well made. I give the Short Film an A-.

Short Film (Animated) Review:
I really enjoyed the animation in this movie. (I didn't like the animation in a couple of the shorts we saw, so that is actually saying something.) It was a different animation from both Day & Night and The Gruffalo and I have enjoyed all three of the animations. While this one was good, I can't help but think that this made it where it did because of it's subject matter. I thought that it was good, but it didn't leave me impressed like both Day & Night  and The Gruffalo did. (Although, it was better than the remaining two films in this category.) So, I give it a B. It was definitely better than average, it just wasn't impressive enough to earn an "A."



1 comment:

Mr. B. said...

I agree with your assessment in that I thought it was the third best. The whole short is sarcastic, and because it is done well almost the entire short is funny. The academy doesn't seem to really like funny shorts, otherwise "The Lady and the Reaper" (my favorite from last year) would have won last year instead of "Logorama".

I spoke to a friend about this and he didn't like "Let's Pollute" because he didn't like the eco-friendly message and called it liberal propaganda...which some certainly might see it as. I didn't, I saw it as a humorous film with a positive message, but certainly not everyone will see it like I do.

 
site design by designer blogs