Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Movie Review: The Crush

Nomination:
Short Film (Live Action)

Definition:
According to the Academy, "a short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits. This excludes from consideration such works as: 1) previews and advertising films, 2) sequences from feature-length films such as credit sequences, 3) unaired episodes of established TV series, 4) unsold TV series pilots." The Academy further defines a Live Action Short Film as using "live action techniques as the basic medium of entertainment. Documentary short subjects will not be accepted in the live action category."

Movie Review:
I'll start by saying this is another UK submission featuring a psychopathic child. This was the fourth of the films we saw, the third UK submission and the third UK submission with kids doing crazy things...I turned to Mr. B during the film and said, "I'm sick and tired of psychopathic English kids." That being said, this story was well told, and this kid only ended up minorly psychopathic. The synopsis is this, the kid has a crush on his teacher (he's about 7 or 8) and she gets engaged. The kid doesn't like the boyfriend and sets out to prove this to his teacher. It started out REALLY cute - who wouldn't love a story about a kid with a crush on his teacher. So many kids have been there and it's fun to relate to. But, it took a really crazy turn when the event to prove the boyfriend/fiance doesn't really like her. The twist they used was good, but again - 2nd crazy English kid in the past hour was too much. I give this film a B+. It was well thought out and well produced, but I've had enough of the crazy English kids!!

Short Film (Live Action) Review:
This short was well done. The story telling was good, the production quality was good. There was nothing (aside from the story itself) to distract me. The acting was good, and I ALMOST enjoyed it. But for the pesky "psycho English kid" aspect. If they would have done it just slightly differently, A+, but they did it how they did it, and it gets a B. I don't want all my shorts to feature psycho English kids!










PS.- I realized the other night I haven't been doing to great a job giving credit on photos. Yeah, I ditzed out...so, this pic I got from IMDB.com.  There you go.

1 comment:

Mr. B. said...

I also enjoyed this film. And to take some heat off of our UK friends, it's not like it would be any better if it were American psychopathic children (in fact that'd probably be pretty realistic).

Certainly the story makes you think one thing is going to happen, and the twist at the end is quite a surprise - and I liked that. I don't think I liked this one as much as "The Confession", so although I enjoyed it it places somewhere 3rd, 4th or 5th.

And as a reminder, I'd like to point out that none of these shorts were bad. It's not like 1 was great and 1 was bad and 3 were mediocre - these were the best 5 short films selected by the academy, they're all good in one respect or another, but some are better than others.

 
site design by designer blogs