Monday, February 21, 2011

Movie Review: The Confession

*Post Playlist - Confession Part II by Usher, because of similar titles not similar topics...*

Nomination:
Short Film (Live Action)

Definition:
According to the Academy, "a short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits. This excludes from consideration such works as: 1) previews and advertising films, 2) sequences from feature-length films such as credit sequences, 3) unaired episodes of established TV series, 4) unsold TV series pilots." The Academy further defines a Live Action Short Film as using "live action techniques as the basic medium of entertainment. Documentary short subjects will not be accepted in the live action category."

Movie Review: (SPOILER ALERT)
The Confession follows two boys who are about to have their first confession. You see them receive their robes and a pamphlet that gives them examples of things they may need to confess in their first confession. The examples are things like talking back, poor attitude, being mean to brothers or sisters but these two boys just don't find that those are sufficient for Sam, and they go off to get a better confession and end up with 4 deaths occurring. The story is fascinating to watch, but ultimately, creepy as hell. Really the kids are psychopaths is all I can think by end of the movie. (Really 7 year olds thinking up ideas that kill people? Only psychopaths.) I give the movie a B+.

Short Film (Live Action) Review:
I definitely give the movie props for doing a good job at it's story telling. By the end of the 25 or so minutes that this ran, I felt that I had watched a full length feature. It was really well done. It was so well done, I didn't like it. I can give props for something being well done. So, I give this an A-.




1 comment:

Mr. B said...

I on the other hand, really liked this film. It's not like the kids meant to kill someone, it was an accident, and then the kids covered it up because they knew it was wrong and they didn't want to get into trouble. I don't think these kids were psychos, I think there were just normal kids.

But thanks to watching TV shows like "Bones" I know this kid will be caught eventually.

As far as it compares to the other live action shorts, this wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't my least favorite either. I have some difficulty determining the exact order of preference for the live action shorts, but this is either 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

 
site design by designer blogs