Friday, February 25, 2011

Movie Review: Animal Kingdom

Nominations:
Actress in a Supporting Role - Jacki Weaver
 
Definitions:
According to the Academy: "A performance by an actor or actress in any role shall be eligible for nomination either for the leading role or supporting role categories. If, however, all the dialog has been dubbed by another actor, the performance shall not be eligible for award consideration. Singing that is dubbed will not affect the performer's eligibility unless it constitutes the entire performance. The dermination as to whether a role is a leading or supporting role shall be made individually by members of the branch at the time of balloting."
 
Movie Review:
Animal Kingdom follow J, a 17 year old boy. His mother has just died from a drug overdose and he is taken in by his grandmother (Played by Jacki Weaver.). After he moves in with his family he learns that they are part of the Australia mob. We follow J as he become a protected witness in a muder case of his family's. We watch his struggle between the law and his family and his ultimate decision. I give the movie a B. This lacked the action of The Town, which could have helped keep my interest just a bit more in the movie.
 
Actress in a Supporting Role Review:
Jacki Weaver plays J's grandmother and the matriarch of this family of criminals. Her character, Smurf, is a doting mother and grandmother who's kisses to her sons and grandson on the lips linger just a little too long for comfort. She heads up this family from her home and you're never quite sure if she approves of J or not. During the whole movie, you never doubt her affection and protection of her four sons. Weaver plays Smurf with just the right amount of hardened criminal with a nice layer of suburban mother/grandmother to ice the cake. I give Weaver's performance an A. I always felt that I was seeing her character through J's eyes and in the end, I left feeling toward her character as J did, and I find that to be a very successful performance.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And again, another picture from http://www.imdb.com/.

1 comment:

Mr. B said...

I agree that Jacki Weaver did a good job. She really nailed the role,and really, in many ways I felt like she was sort of twins with Melissa Leo's character in "The Fighter"...it seemed to me that both roles shares some elements in common.

And although I liked Jacki Weaver in this film, I think Melissa Leo deserved the award. I rank them this way in Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo, Jacki Weaver, Helena Bonham Carter, Hailee Steinfeld, Amy Adams - although I wasn't particularly fond of either Steinfeld or Adams' portrayals of their characters, so I would have been okay with any of my top 3 winning, although I thought Leo was the best.

 
site design by designer blogs