Monday, February 28, 2011

And the Oscar Goes To... Part 4

Today was the Oscars, and the winners were announced. Today, that infamous line was said and awards were given. Tonight, someone is climbing into bed and falling asleep with an Oscar statute in their arm. It has to be awesome for tonight's winners.

Now that the Oscar Death Race is over, it's time to look at the awards and discuss.  Here are my first thoughts.

And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to:
Mrs. B: Colin Firth, King George VI/"Bertie", The King's Speech
The Academy: Javier Bardem, Uxbal, Biutiful

The Winner: Colin Firth, King George VI/"Bertie", The King's Speech
I was wrong on this prediction (which was a trend...I didn't do too good on my predictions...) and this time, it turned out pretty well. I really enjoyed Colin Firth's performance in The King's Speech and am glad to see it win.


And the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor goes to:
Mrs. B: John Hawkes, Teardrop, Winter's Bone
The Academy: Mark Ruffalo, Paul, The Kids are All Right

The Winner: Christian Bale, The Fighter
I was wrong, and I'm OK with that. For me, this category didn't have any real standouts, so if there would have been a 5 sided coin I would have just flipped it...


And the Oscar for Best Actress goes to:
Mrs. B: Natalie Portman, Nina Sayers, Black Swan
The Academy: Annette Bening, Nic, The Kids are All Right

The Winner: Natalie Portman, Nina Sayers, Black Swan
I was wrong again, and again it was better for me to be wrong. I won't complain about Natalie Portman winning this award, she did a fantastic job, plus, who doesn't want to watch her give that speech with her cute preggo belly. Yep, no complaints here on watching this acceptance speech!


And the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress goes to:
Mrs. B: Jacki Weaver, Smurf, Animal Kingdom
The Academy: Melissa Leo, Alice Ward, The Fighter

The Winner: Melissa Leo, Alice Ward, The Fighter
I was right!! Melissa Leo was my second choice, and I considered her highly for first choice. So, overall, no complaints with the Academy on this selection!




And the Oscar for Best Picture goes to:
Mrs. B: Black Swan
The Academy: Black Swan

The Winner: The King's Speech
So, I was obviously wrong on this. I still think Black Swan was a better picture, but the Academy has a different opinion. When I was deciding what I thought that the Academy would choose for Best Picture, I considered this as a possibility. While I would have liked to seen Black Swan win, I'm not disappointed the The King's Speech won.

 
And the Oscar for Best Director goes to:
Mrs. B: Black Swan
The Academy: Black Swan

The Winner: The King's Speech
Wrong again. Yep, I was not very successful with my predictions...I was really hoping to see Black Swan win this award. It was an amazing movie and I think the directing was much better for Black Swan. I'm not complaining about the winner though, The King's Speech was a very good movie.



And the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film goes to:
Mrs. B: Biutiful
The Academy: Biutiful

The Winner: In A Better World
I'm going to admit it here and now - I didn't see all of the Foreign Language films...this was purely a guess on the only one I saw. I picked Biutiful without seeing the others only because Javier Bardem was picked for Best Leading Actor and thought that might put Biutiful in the running for Best Foreign Language film.




And the Oscar for Best Animated Film goes to:
Mrs. B: Toy Story 3
The Academy: Toy Story 3

The Winner: Toy Story 3
No surprise here. They had to have 2 other nominations so that they could give Toy Story 3 the award it deserved.




And the Oscar for Best Art Direction goes to:
Mrs. B: Black Swan
The Academy: Black Swan

The Winner: Alice in Wonderland
I must have been looking at the wrong part of my sheet on this one...it wasn't even nominated for this category...I was in a rush on my post and was prone to error. I also didn't comment on Cinematography..I don't know what was wrong with me...but, I have now gone on a tangent...I probably would have picked Harry Potter but, I'm not unhappy that Alice in Wonderland won.




And the Oscar for Best Costume Design goes to:
Mrs. B: Alice in Wonderland
The Academy: The Tempest

The Winner: Alice in Wonderland
Well, this is another instance of me wanting one thing to win, but misjudging the Academy. Generally, it is very difficult for anything to compete with period English pieces on costumes, so Alice in Wonderland winning over the period English piece surprises me. In a good way. I'll sleep well at night knowing that Alice in Wonderland won.




And the Oscar for Best Film Editing goes to:
Mrs. B: Black Swan
The Academy: Black Swan

The Winner: The Social Network
I was wrong. I really expected the Academy to give more to Black Swan. Oh well. It's not the end of the world. I enjoyed The Social Network. It was well done and it was a great story. But, the complexity of the story line in Black Swan was largely possible because of the film editing. For me, that makes the film editing in Black Swan better.




And the Oscar for Best Make-Up goes to:
Mrs. B: The Way Back
The Academy: The Way Back

The Winner: The Wolfman
I was wrong on this, and I'm disappointed with the Academy's decision on this category. I'm sorry, for me there is less to be said for creating something that doesn't exist than there is for realistically recreating something that is familar to people. The Way Back recreates what exists. The Wolfman creates something that is imagined...who would have known if it was wrong?




And the Oscar for Best Music - Original Score - goes to:
Mrs. B: Inception
The Academy: The Social Network

The Winner: The Social Network
I was right here...I guess I'm just disappointed that I was right. I enjoyed The Social Network but for me, it just wasn't Oscar material...and it won...<insert disappointment here>




And the Oscar for Best Music - Original Song - goes to:
Mrs. B: "I See the Light" from Tangled
The Academy: "I See the Light" from Tangled

The Winner: "We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3
Yep, wrong here too. I know you are shocked by my inability to predict the Oscar winners at this point. I liked this song, I just liked "I See the Light More".




And the Oscar for Best Film - Animated Short - goes to:
Mrs. B: The Gruffalo
The Academy: Madagascar, carnet de voyage

The Winner: The Lost Thing
Well, I was surprised that The Lost Thing won. It was good, but for me, only about forth best...better than Madagascar, carnet de voyage, but that's about it.




And the Oscar for Best Film - Live Action - goes to:
Mrs. B: God of Love
The Academy: Na Wewe

The Winner: God of Love
I was wrong on this and I couldn't be happier about it!! I WANTED God of Love to win SO badly but, I figured that the politics of Na Wewe was going to cause it to win. When they said God of Love I almost jumped out of my seat at the Oscar viewing party I attended. I told Mr. B, that I didn't care about the rest of the Oscars at that point, God of Love winning made my night!




And the Oscar for Best Sound Editing goes to:
Mrs. B: Tron: Legacy
The Academy: Inception

The Winner: Inception
I was right! I would like to have seen Tron: Legacy win, I was really impressed with what they came up with, but I'm not going to cry any tears over Inception winning. It was really impressive too. Plus, I just overall like Inception a BUNCH.




And the Oscar for Best Sound Mixing goes to:
Mrs. B: Inception
The Academy: Inception

The Winner: Inception
I was right! Again! And, what's there to say, MY pick and the Academy's were aligned...what's there to complain about!




And the Oscar for Best Visual Effects goes to:
Mrs. B: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
The Academy: Inception

The Winner: Inception
I was RIGHT on this one. I made HP my pick BUT, I was torn between HP and Inception. I'm glad that Inception won and really, I don't have more to say about that.




And the Oscar for Best Writing -Adapted Screenplay - goes to:
Mrs. B: Toy Story 3
The Academy: The Social Network

The Winner: The Social Network
I'll accept this. Again, The Social Network just did NOT impress me...not that I thought that any of these really had a strong lead...even my pick, Toy Story 3, didn't really outshine all of the others. The whole category was weak. To me, The Social Network was the weakest in a weak category.




And the Oscar for Best Writing - Original Screenplay - goes to:
Mrs. B: Inception
The Academy: The Kids Are All Right

The Winner: The King's Speech
I'm happy that this is what won. I really enjoyed the movie, it was complex and complete. And, I really didn't want to see The Kids Are All Right win because I think it would have won on a political vote and not because it was the best. I just want an honest winner. (Kathryn Bigelow, I'm looking at you.)



Here's my end of the road analysis.

1) Those of us who compete in the Oscar Death Race are particularly poorly prepared to pick winners. Fact of the matter is, we get emotionally attached to movies and become biased to them. Even though I tried to be unbiased, my bias showed up frequently...

2) A note to film makers. If you make a film and it's getting a nomination for the Oscars, get it out there BEFORE the Oscars air. This is particularly true for foreign films, documentaries, and documentary shorts. I promise you, if it wasn't out by February 27, I didn't see it, and I won't see it. I just don't watch these films "for fun" so to speak. Even if I have to buy it off of iTunes, I will. Just get it there for me! You missed a large audience of people by not doing it!

3) If you were keeping tally, I got 7 right and 13 wrong in the categories I ranked...It's a little sad, I know. And no, I didn't join my office pool on the winners - I know better!







1 comment:

Mr. B said...

I think I got 10-11 right, because I picked Inception alot (based on what I put down on the ballot last night)...far from a win. Like you, I thought Black Swan would do better.

But if it's any consolation, when I was watching the clips they were showing for "Best Film Editing", before they handed out the award, when I saw "The Social Network" 's clip, I thought to myself, "Wow, that's some good editing...I should have picked that!" - then it won. That doesn't officially help the cause any, but it made me feel better that when I saw good editing I recognized it. The problem, i guess is that I didn't notice it in the film particularly.

 
site design by designer blogs