Sunday, January 23, 2011

Our Wedding Album - Post 1

The past week or so has been dedicated to our Wedding Album. So, this post is also dedicated to our wedding album.

My original plan was to get the album printed through Shutterfly, and I will still have some things printed via Shutterfly but our "formal" album is going to be printed through another company. 

One of the big decisions of this project has been trying to determine where to get our album printed at. I didn't like a photo book for our formal album, so I wanted something else and that's where my search started. I looked at MPix, and I will likely use them for some of the other printing I will want. But, their albums didn't quite meet the specifications I had. The biggest requirement I had for this album was the ability to do panoramic spreads and this is not possible with Mpix because of the gutters on their pages. So, I went on a search and found the company I am going to use, Adoramapix.com. Their prices are phenomenal. I can get a 50 page book, with thick album pages and great prints with the ability for panoramic pages for $91.95 on a 10in x 10in album. At Mpix, a 40 page 10in x 10in album is $265 before any upgrades. Will I necessarily use 50 pages? No, most likely not, so it will only be cheaper than $91.95. I dig it.

The other big decision with the albums was, how on God's green earth am I going to create this sucker? I tried Adobe Photoshop 6.0 (long story how I got it for free, but I did and legitimately.) I just couldn't do what I wanted to do with it, and I needed to find something else. So, I tried out Gimp. It's another photo editing software, it's free and has much of the functionality of Photoshop. It's awesome. I liked using it. But again, I wanted to create my own pages and this still wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. So, I decided to check out Adobe's website and see what their products might offer me. And I found Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. I was able to get a free 30 day trial from Adobe's website and I can say I am highly pleased. The program is $100 and it does exactly what I want it to do. I find the learning curve is much less than that of Photoshop, even something as old as Photoshop 6.0. But, it has the things I was looking for. It really is the best of both worlds. It's the lowest product in the Adobe Photoshop line and it is exactly what I need. Your basic photo editing mixed with the ability to complete many projects with you want to complete. I am in LOVE with this program!

So, now, after a week worth of working with the software, I am starting to get the hang of doing the things I want to do. And I've even completed a few pages. I have complete my pages on a 20in x 10in background because Adoramapix.com allows you to upload both pages as one (awesome feature that I love!). So, each picture is 2 pages, side by side. Enjoy a few of our wedding pictures and see the first few pages of our wedding album. I can't wait to do some more work on these!!!

The Bride!!!! (That's me!!! Mrs. B!!!!)
Before I even started the album I knew I wanted this layout.
 (The black and white background picture struck me as perfect for this
layout the first time I saw it. I'm glad that I found a way to make it so!) 

The Groom!!!! (That's Mr. B!)

The Bridesmaids & Flowergirls!
 I am absolutely LOVING the experience of creating my own wedding album. I really didn't realize when I took the approach to the wedding photography I did that I would enjoy it this much. I think the best part of the experience so far is knowing that MY favorite photos are the ones being displayed. I've seen EVERY photo taken of our wedding (From the official photographer) and know that I like these best. It's awesome!!!

Hope you enjoyed!!

<3 Mrs. B

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I REALLY like how the album is looking :). It's so awesome that you found that site. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Conrad said...

I look forward to seeing the final product!!

 
site design by designer blogs